Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Interpreting what we see in the wood?

Keith Newton
>OK, I have a cherry crotch on the lathe that I got about this time last year, and while I am fighting part of it, there are some things that I just love. I was just wondering if others of you have to ever-so-often, get some relief and wax poetically about your love for wood?

I have to say that I am thrilled when my customers come in and buy my work, and seem to really appreciate the beauty of the object, and the beauty of the wood, but I have to say that I feel a little bit sorry that they don't have the intimate knowledge of what is the cause of a lot of what they see in the work, the same way that I do.

We turners are so lucky to get to see the beautiful natural color of the wood as it is freshly revealed before any oxidation occurs, I mean some of the pinks, reds , gold, and purples that just end up as brown by the time the customers see the work. They don't have a clue of the beauty we have seen.

I don't know how most of you acquire your wood, but I usually find all of my turning wood, so I have some knowledge of place and history, and maybe access to some personal history of the tree from the property owner of time and place. When I find things in the wood, I will contact the family and ask questions, or study the local weather history, and even consult a dendrochronologis if the situation has merits.

These trees have recorded in their rings their hardships, and their good times, and the interactions with us humans and everything weather related.

I started making things from wood in the mid-sixties, and other than carving wood, I bought most of it from the lumber-yards, and I think most of my peers considered me a pretty good woodworker. However I started turning about maybe 15 years ago, and I learned more about wood in the first five years after that, than I had over the previous 20 years, and each 5 years since have been the same. Isn't it great to have a passion for learning, and have a medium that keeps slowly revealing itself? I don't know if most of you have and wear a magnifying visor for sharpening or not, and if you do inspect the wood between sharpening under magnification, If not, the next thing you should do is get a visor. Life can be much better than what you are experiencing now. Your sharpening will improve, and your appreciation for wood will be enhanced as well.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081