Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
More turning green wood *PIC*

Gary Evans Tallassee, TN
>John Lucas's message on turning green reminded me that I never reported back on the results of my experiment with clamping a warped green platter to flatten it back out.

The platter was turned out of a green piece of camphor. It was so green that I got water out of it when I cut the blank on the bandsaw. I couldn't wait for the blank to dry, so I proceeded to turn it pretty doggone thin, with the edge being the thinnest and tapering thicker toward the center. I took it almost immediately to a turning club meeting in an airconditioned room and you could actually see the change in flatness from the beginning of the meeting until the end.

The platter was near 1/2" out of true when I put it in the clamps. After it dried for several weeks in an area of relatively high humidity, I unclamped it and brought it in the house. It has stayed near flat now for at least 6 or 7 weeks. I haven't measured it, but by laying a straight edge across the high spots, it's only out about 3/16". You have to look hard to see that it's not flat.

I think that the two reasons this turned out successfully are that the edge was thin enough not to crack as it dried and it was dried very, very slowly in a high relative humidity.

Here is a pic of the platter. The next post will show the clamp set up.

Gary

Messages In This Thread

More turning green wood *PIC*
Re: More turning green wood
Re: More turning green wood
Re: More turning green wood *PIC*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081