Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Here's a poser. Thoughts?________*PIC*

Rod Peterson -- Ormond Beach
>I just disassembled my old Sears round tube lathe in preparation for sale and installation of my Delta 46-700. I'll be kind of sad to see the Sears go, because I've been enjoying saying I have three lathes (Jet Mini). Anyway, I decided early on that the flimsy steel stand that came with the Delta wasn't going to be used, so I'm working on Plan A (since what some might have called Plan A wasn't ever a consideration).

The stand I built for the Craftsman is fairly substantial…for a wood only product (no snickering, you guys with really heavy iron), and I thought I might put it to use. Acutally, I am going to put it to use. I only have to cut down the rear brace to accommodate the shorter span of mounting holes between the Craftsman and the Delta. I may beef up the bracing a bit—after all, the Delta is a more substantial and more powerful lathe than the Sears…I figure I can hang sand bags on it eventually or even build some sand bins. But that's for later…Here's a pic:

Shop built lathe stand

What the poser part is, I had a brainstorm. How about if I build a little platform for the Jet that will sit on the ways of the Delta, that I can either clamp or bolt in place for when I want to use the Jet for a project?

The actual height of the centers won't be that much different (is that an issue even if they were quite a bit different?), and so far, I'm the only one turning, so there won't be that much call for two lathes running, and in any event, even if there were, I can still set the Jet up on the WorkMutt or the chop saw stand.

Anyone think I'm crazy? Wait, let me rephrase that—anyone think this is an unworkable idea?

I use the same tools, the same drive spurs, the same face plates, the same tail centers, the same chuck (both lathes have #2 MT and 1"-8 spindle). Everything would be really convenient, and I get to save some floor space, especially if I build a mobile base for it.

I appreciate your thoughts.

Rod

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081