Turning Archive 2005

Here's a poser. Thoughts?________*PIC*

Rod Peterson -- Ormond Beach
>I just disassembled my old Sears round tube lathe in preparation for sale and installation of my Delta 46-700. I'll be kind of sad to see the Sears go, because I've been enjoying saying I have three lathes (Jet Mini). Anyway, I decided early on that the flimsy steel stand that came with the Delta wasn't going to be used, so I'm working on Plan A (since what some might have called Plan A wasn't ever a consideration).

The stand I built for the Craftsman is fairly substantial…for a wood only product (no snickering, you guys with really heavy iron), and I thought I might put it to use. Acutally, I am going to put it to use. I only have to cut down the rear brace to accommodate the shorter span of mounting holes between the Craftsman and the Delta. I may beef up the bracing a bit—after all, the Delta is a more substantial and more powerful lathe than the Sears…I figure I can hang sand bags on it eventually or even build some sand bins. But that's for later…Here's a pic:

Shop built lathe stand

What the poser part is, I had a brainstorm. How about if I build a little platform for the Jet that will sit on the ways of the Delta, that I can either clamp or bolt in place for when I want to use the Jet for a project?

The actual height of the centers won't be that much different (is that an issue even if they were quite a bit different?), and so far, I'm the only one turning, so there won't be that much call for two lathes running, and in any event, even if there were, I can still set the Jet up on the WorkMutt or the chop saw stand.

Anyone think I'm crazy? Wait, let me rephrase that—anyone think this is an unworkable idea?

I use the same tools, the same drive spurs, the same face plates, the same tail centers, the same chuck (both lathes have #2 MT and 1"-8 spindle). Everything would be really convenient, and I get to save some floor space, especially if I build a mobile base for it.

I appreciate your thoughts.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.