Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Cedar vase *PIC*

Ed Kelle
>10"H x 7" rim diameter. Done this weekend, I really did not expect to see purple in this log, the heartwood was orange on the end. For me, it was a big blank, about 14x 11 to start with, boy I wish my lathe would go slower than 500rpm cause it sure seemed fast to me. I kept it between centers for all of the outside work and even some of the initial 2" or so of hollowing. Lots of hand sanding later, I packed it in for the night and put it in a bag of shavings till Saturday. And for some odd reason it didn't warp or start to crack.

I drilled a depth hole with a nice big 1" bit and slowly worked my way down using my big ellsworth bowl gouge and a heavy duty bowl scraper. Once again, had no luck with my Sorby hollowmaster. It just loves to turn over on me even with the flat grind underneath. I went as deep as I could go, dur to the limits of my tools and toolrest, so it is about 1.5" thick at the bottom and still shows the drill hole a bit. Sanded the inside and saturated it with oil before it could start to dry out, there were already a few pith cracks forming due to the heat of sanding the inside bottom. Still in the oiling process and it is holding shape very well.

Of course after the hollowing I saw a lot of great colorings going on inside and thought, if I just went a little narrower on the outside I could have brought more color up higher on the vase. Oh well. Its a nice piece either way and probably my biggest work to date.

In the future, I should build a steady rest so I don't have to worry about launching the piece the entire time. I'd also like get a decent hollowing tool as well. I was really suprised how well the bowl gouge worked in hollowing end grain.

Learned a bunch on this piece and I am pleased with the results.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081