Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
turned vs. unturned

Keith Tompkins
>I read with great interest the thread on what constitutes a turning or not. I'll share a few of my thoughts. The field of "wood art" developed as a direct result of people pushing the limits of the lathe, and ultimately their own limits. Wood art is not going away, in fact may be a large driving force behind the tremendous growth in woodturning.

Personally, I have been a turner for years, lots of furniture parts, some art stuff. I was unaware of the AAW and the trends in turning. I happened to see a few books books at Barnes and Noble on contemporary wood turning........BANG!! I showed the books to my wife "Look what these people are turning!" Some pieces bore an eerie resemblance to things I had produced years ago...I wasn't intimidated by the work at all; in fact, I could see myself fitting right in. I joined the AAW instantly. Not just for turning, the artistic element is what excited me. THIS IS WHAT I WANTED TO DO!

I knew how to carve...I knew how to turn...I could apply a good finish. What would happen if i combined all of these things? It seemed that the possibilities were endless. I know I am not the only one who thinks this way..thousands upon thousands of others do also.

The big question is....can both turning and art exist under one roof? I think the AAW is aware of their roots, but on the other hand, is not about to toss out the fastest growing segment in the art field. I think turning should be put into categories:pure turning, embellished turning, and open (wood art) turning. All three categories should receive equal respect and representation. The AAW needs all of us in order to succeed.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081