Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
a response from the carving forum

Mike Schwing from Md.
>Someone on the carving forum rightly asked me why I posted my "sea creature" on the turning forum and why the AAW allows so much "non turning" in its galleries. Here's my answer. What do you think?

It is folks like me who wonder why many turners desire to restrict their craft to things that are only done on a lathe. Furniture makers will employ lathes, bandsaws, tablesaws, routers, etc.. but not exclude their product if it had a handtool included in its make.

I could have easily put this thing on the lathe to start it out. It would have been easy to turn it on 3 axes to get the basic shape, and then carved it from there. But it would lose all resemblance of a turning before I was done. Would you accept it as a turning? I'd say you had to. Isn't turning nothing more than carving with the workpiece spinning? There are a lot of folks who do this, by the way - put it on the lathe ONLY so they can say it was turned. I've done it, too, to be honest.

I posted it on the turning forum because those folks know me best and have actually asked me to continue to post my work there.

Most lathe turned work has had other tools taken to it - chainsaws, bandsaws, power sanders, buffing wheels...why does that not make you question whether something is a turning or not? How about segemented turning?

Now, if you were in KC you undoubtedly saw the OZ exhibit - lots of work there that never saw a lathe. My piece did, but only about an hour's worth out of probably 100 hours. All or most all had extensive off the lathe work, including assembly, color, carving, etc.. the AAW has decided that it wants to expand turning beyond the "MUST BE LATHE TURNED ONLY" form. I applaud that! Others in the AAW membership want it to remain a more pure sport, but how do you categorize it? Isn't sanding and finishing cheating?

But I still like to turn bowls, too.

One more thing - perhaps I should have posted this only in the main messages forum, which is also the power tools forum, because I used mostly power tools to create it.

BTW, almost all of the sanding was done on lathe mounted/driven sanding drums and discs.

To me, the lathe is only another tool like my bandsaw. It is no more special in the process. The human is the special part. The rest are tools he uses to achieve his end result.

Messages In This Thread

a response from the carving forum
Wither The Lathe?
lets be clear
Sorry Mike, I cut and pasted & still messed it up! *NM*
Re: Sorry Mike, I cut and pasted & still messed it
Well put, Bill. Your comments
Re: Well put, Bill. Your comments
HUMBUG
Why I'm not a member of AAW or a turning club...
Re: Why I'm not a member of AAW or a turning club.
Re: Why I'm not a member of AAW or a turning club.
Re: a response from the carving forum
why does AAW have to ...
Re: why does AAW have to ...
Clarification
Fred, who is against "artsy"?
Yep, no rest for the weary...:) *NM*
Chat room discussion?
AND Just When.....
Re: AND Just When.....
LOL!! *NM*
Thanks Bill!
Re: Thanks Bill!
but I do!
AAW = American Association of WoodTurners
Re: AAW = American Association of WoodTurners
Re: AAW = American Association of WoodTurners
confusing the issue
No confusion at all
Re: No confusion at all
Re: confusing the issue
Re: In response to Nelson.....
People's Front of Judea
Re: a response from the carving forum Well said *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081