Turning Archive 2005
Dominic Greco in Richboro, PA
Here is a pic of some bottle stoppers I turned (2) nights ago. From Left to right: Maple Burl, Maple Burl, Cherry, Milo, and Thurya Burl.
Just a side note here. The Milo was from Mike Rubes (Mike, remember that log we split at Bill's 2003 BBQ?). The Thurya Burl was from Craig Daymon (Craig, I couldn't bring myself to use it for a finial. It was too cool looking!).
Now, I know what you're thinking. "Bottle Stoppers, eh? Well whoop-de-do." But give me a chance. These are a bit different for me.
First off, I used the stainless steel kit Ruth Niles sells (and I can't recommend these kits enough!). And secondly, these completed bottle stoppers feature a spray lacquer finish. I really like lacquer since items coated with it will resist water. This is pretty important if you like to refrigerate your wine bottles.
However, I'm one of those people that are "finishing challenged". Unless I know the ins and outs of a finishing technique, I tend to shy away from it. I was that way with lacquer. To be quite honest, I screwed up my first attempt at lacquering so badly that I hesitated to try it again. But for some reason I got brave enough and tried it out again with these stoppers.
Rather than get out the spray gun and try that route again, I used the spray lacquer in an aerosol can that PSI sells. I gave them all several coats over a 15 minute period and allowed the finish to dry/harden over night. The next night I buffed them with Griot's Machine Polish, followed by a coat of Renaissance Wax.
I brought these stoppers into work today and before I could take a picture, (3) out of the (5) were sold. IMHO I think it's a combination of the slick looking SS kit, and the lacquer finish. So I think I may have a winner here.
Thanks for viewing.
See ya around,