Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
First Big Bowl Off The New Nova *PIC*

Dick Parr
>Well I was feeling better yesterday so I dugout this box elder log half and made a blank. This is the first really Big bowl I have ever tried as it started out at 14-1/2". It finished at 13-1/2" x 5" and 1/2" thick.

This is some of the first box elder from last October and it was pretty much bone dry already so I didn't try to soak it in DNA. I turned it yesterday and sanded and finished it today. I used Tung Oil and Bees Wax for the finish.

Now I see what Jim Ketron was talking about sanding big bowls, wow my hands and wrists hurt from all day sanding. I always had a hard time with box elder tearing out anyways, but without a steady rest for this new lathe, the tear-out was terrible on the outer edges. Way to much sanding for my likes.

I need to get the Kelton video on coring because this bowl would have been bigger if I knew how to core correctly. I was almost done with coring the inside of it when it snapped the tenon on the bowl. So to make a new tenon, it made the finished bowl smaller. But I am happy with it and so is Mickey.

Thanks for looking

Messages In This Thread

First Big Bowl Off The New Nova *PIC*
Re: First Big Bowl Off The New Nova
Bottom *NM* *PIC*
Re: Bottom
Re: Bottom
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081