Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
poplar cracking??

DWFII
>I have some blondish wood that was represented to me as maple when I got it. The guy who told me it was maple is a tree trimmer/cutter but he's a little strange (although he's been spot on in identifying woods in the past)--"distracted" is perhaps the better word. but I'm beginning to think it isn't maple. (Wally Dickerman thought a finished bowl from this wood might be pine but there's no resinous smell when turning and I think the bark is wrong.)

In any case, it seems soft and easily tears when scraping. But worst of all, it seems to want to tear itself apart. I have cut rough blanks and sealed with liberal coats of anchorseal but everytime I look at the blanks (maybe a couple weeks apart) there seems to be a new crack even though I fill all cracks with thin CA. Bottom line is this stuff is probably the most unstable wood I've come across ( barring fruit woods).

Is poplar or cottonwood known for being unstable?

I know it's tough to idnetify wood without even a photo of the bark or leaves, much less the wood itself, but anyone have any ideas?

DW
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081