Turning Archive 2005

confused about shear scraping

>I'm having a hard time getting my head around the cocept of shear scraping. I mean I know how to do it but I can't figure out how to do it inside a bowl. It seems to me that if you use a dedicated scraper inside a bowl it ought to be pushed from rim to interior in order to avoid tearing the fibers. Is that right? Or have I got it all backward? Depite my rationalizations there, I nevertheless generally use the scraper from center towards the rim. (it just seems a natural movement) But that might very well be the reason I have trouble with torn end grain.

I generally hollow a bowl cutting towards the center. But sometimes, especially after the bowl has assumed it's almost final shape I will pull the gouge toward the rim. Trouble is, this seems to tear endgrain, too.

On the other hand, shear scraping with a gouge inside the bowl seems like it might be dern near impossible. Is there a way to do that?

In all events, I am having some problems with torn grain...despite the fact that I have a sharpening jig and use it religiously. So I must be doing something wrong.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

In the High Desert of Central Oregon

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.