Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
confused about shear scraping

DWFII
>I'm having a hard time getting my head around the cocept of shear scraping. I mean I know how to do it but I can't figure out how to do it inside a bowl. It seems to me that if you use a dedicated scraper inside a bowl it ought to be pushed from rim to interior in order to avoid tearing the fibers. Is that right? Or have I got it all backward? Depite my rationalizations there, I nevertheless generally use the scraper from center towards the rim. (it just seems a natural movement) But that might very well be the reason I have trouble with torn end grain.

I generally hollow a bowl cutting towards the center. But sometimes, especially after the bowl has assumed it's almost final shape I will pull the gouge toward the rim. Trouble is, this seems to tear endgrain, too.

On the other hand, shear scraping with a gouge inside the bowl seems like it might be dern near impossible. Is there a way to do that?

In all events, I am having some problems with torn grain...despite the fact that I have a sharpening jig and use it religiously. So I must be doing something wrong.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

DW
In the High Desert of Central Oregon

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081