Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Any power transmission experts out there?

Pete in Holland, MI
>Fellow lathe owners:

As an owner of a JET 1236 lathe, I am becoming aware of its long and short comings. Turning a lot of larger diameter bowls recently, I am experiencing slippage of the belt while turning larger diameters (admittingly taking heavy cuts). Notes posted in the past lead me to replacing the belt with a new one from the NAPA store with a certain part number. This basically gave me a similar belt to the one removed from the machine. Performance did improve, a little. The belt is described as a "wrapped" belt, where the sheets of fabric from which the belt is built up from, are wrapped & formed to create the belt.

I have seen Reeves or simialr drive installed in snowmobiles, metal lathes, drill presses and conveyor speed controls. None of these machines had a "wrapped" belt, as the JET machine, but rather a "cut" belt, where the V-sides of the belt are cut to expose the raw rubber, and sometimes the inner face of the belt is cut/molded to resemble a cog belt. Would stand to reason that that belt would offer more grip to the "hyphenated" pulley faces of the Reeves drives.

The wrapped belt is cheap, and has a wrapping seam on the belt, which will cause a slight "bump" on belt drive machines each revolution of the belt over a pulley.

Wouldn't it make sense to get a "cut" belt for our Reeves drive to better power our work pieces ?

Thoughts / expierences?

Thanx.....

Pete

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081