Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Plywood Vase *PIC*

Bill Kram
>Here is my first PIC posting, it was a contest entry at our Portsmouth, NH woodworkers club. The club is primarily a flat work group but they tolerate one or two turners. The contest rules were simple & straight forward, take a 6 foot x 4 inch x ¾ inch board & make something with it.

Being a turner, I started to plan a round object. Circular reasoning I suppose. My concept proceeded in this manner. The 4 inch dimension would limit the diameter so I planed to use some segments. I wanted to KISS (keep it simple stupid), keep the piece count down. Also, I chose Baltic ply (actually stock birch ply from HD) to provide some surface pattern. The body rings have only 4 segments per layer. By choosing a vase form, some of the base & neck sections could be cut from a 4 inch square. The body diameter is 6" W x 9 H. There was some more stock left so I made a lid 2" H with one 6 segment layer. Total piece count is 38.

What most pleased me about this effort was the stimulation of creative juices because of the design constraint.
It forces focus & some structure to thinking about forms. A sort of "form follows function kind of thinking."

Appreciate any comments.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081