Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Or..improving by NOT practicing

Mike Schwing from Md.
>As a contrast to Keith's post about practice making perfect, (not to say that any of that is incorrect!), I have some contrary evidence from life experiences that have convinced me that some skills actually improve while we are NOT practicing them. I'm curious to know if anyone else shares this.

I know in my heart that when I take a few months off from swimming, upon returning, my stroke has improved! Without doubt, it seems as if my brain has been practicing while I have not. The first few thousand yards in the pool are always amazing to me in that regard. My wife claims to have experienced the same thing.

I can claim the same experience with water skiing, as well was with bowl turning. After a few months of carving with no real turning time, I can return to the lathe and notice that my hands have somehow become more adept at working the gouge than they were before the break. It is almost as if they're working on their own, showing off for me at what they've been doing while I was working on other things. Same thing with the hollowing tools! I can with all honesty say that I'm a much better turner now than I was before I stopped turning in order to do months of carving and painting. It is one of the more amazing things about being human that I have noticed.

Anyone else?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081