Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
minwax antique oil finish

David
>Within a couple of the many, many threads on finishing techniques during the past few months, somebody (a regular, but I can't remember who) gave favorable mention to the minwax antique oil finish. Well, I happened to have a can of the stuff in the basement, so I decided to exeriment.

First at bat was a very small box elder bowl (more like a soapdish, since that is apparently how the in-laws are using it). This one required sanding between coats. I think the oil raised the grain a bit, but also, it almost felt like a poly-coat on this wood. It ended up with a reasonable sheen once I put some paste-wax on it.

Second at bat is (still in finish process on the lathe) a cottonwood burl. The burl came from a Rocklers store off a gift certificate, and was one of a handful of bowl blanks there that didn't have a giant crack in it. This wood is so unbelievably dry I think you could use it as a paper towel. But it has turned a very pretty bowl. Anyway, the stuff is very thirsty. It has absorbed the minwax antique oil finish like crazy, and I will probably put on a bunch of coats. I'm a little disappointed, however, because I really like the look of it when the coats of oil are still wet (not buffed yet), and of course, when I buff it down, it takes a duller finish. Maybe when I get to the wax coat it will shine up a bit. Also, this wood was really light in color when I turned it - very light - not anymore! When it got hold of the oil, it was like a different bowl, almost black walnut kind of dark. Looks much better dark.

This is my first experience with cottonwood. My take is that I like it. Turns pretty easily, fairly forgiving stuff that allows you to "erase" sins, and a nice looking piece of wood all around.

Anyway, the big question is, what is your take on the minwax antique oil? Like it? Hate it?

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081