Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Pondering

Don Henthorn
>Well, after about seventy years of self learned turning, I got Bill’s DVD on turning a
bowl. Hey! some things I was doing right! I had never really learned a shearing cut, and
that did make a difference. Using scrapers was not new and I still find that for many
tasks I prefer a sharp 1/2” scraper to gouges. As I have stated many times I have always
used glue blocks for most face plate type turning. After watching the video I can see that
there could be few cases when a scroll chuck might be preferable.

I have been thinking about the $90.00 Grizzly chuck although I don’t like the idea of
having a chuck that is so limited in the size of things it will grab. I certainly would not
spend a couple of hundred dollars on so limited a chuck. Still looking. A three jaw
chuck is attractive mainly because it has a much better range of sizes. Sold my old one
with my Blount lathe, but it was a really heavy dude. I do miss it at times.

I have had a few old customers call to see if would still cane chairs for them and that is
giving me a little discretionary money to spend. Don’t want to buy very much because at
85 I don’t expect to use it for a long time. Would like to have a medium size chain saw
since I have discovered what the city does with the trees it takes down. It aint pretty.
Lots of elm biting the dust lately.

Thanks for listening.

Messages In This Thread

Pondering
Re: Pondering *LINK*
Re: Pondering
Re: Pondering
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081