Turning Archive 2005
Dominic Greco in Richboro, PA
Below are some pictures of a small dogwood bowl I just finished last night. The wood came to me from a co-worker and this bowl is destined for his wife.
As you can see from the spalt lines, this log sat in my wood pile for a while. It also was infested with carpenter ants. But I didn't find this out until I was bandsawing the log up 2 months ago. I was cutting the log down the center when carpenter ants started to "boil" out of the wood. Luckily this happened at the end of the cut or else they might have startled me into sawing off my finger! As a result of the ants, the bowl blank featured holes all throughout it. Still, the wood had some very amazing color so I decided to proceed. I alcohol soaked the roughed out bowl overnight, removed it from the bath the next day, and wrapped it. Aside from some very small surface cracks, I didn't run into any problems.
After some thought, I decided that Turquoise would compliment the color of the wood nicely. And since these were small-ish holes, powdered Turquoise would be used. The trick here is to fill the holes up about 90% with sawdust mixed with thin CA glue. Then you just add a layer of powdered Turquoise to top it off.
To add some pizazz to the rim, I added a small bead. I wanted a feature that would frame the bowl without taking away from the figure.
Outer dia.: 5"
Wall thickness: 3/16"
Base dia.: 1 1/2"
Sanding Method: Dry sanded to 600 Grit and then burnished.
Finish: PSI's Lacquer Based Sealer
Final: Buffed with Beall System
Thanks for viewing.
See ya around,