Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
self critic *PIC*

john Lucas
>I find one of the best things you can do is what I call self critic. You have to be your worst critic. I thought I would try a new shape for me. A larger foot that merges with the bowl. I liked it to a point. I find turning a bowl or vessel upside down helps evaluate problems. To me the foot is too big on this one. I think the bowl would have more lift if I made the foot a little smaller.

Look close. You'll see the curve that comes from the foot toward the lip changes about a 1/3 of the way down from the lip. I don't like this. I want to the curve to be smooth. It can change in shape but in this piece I have created 2 curves that meet at the 1/3 point. It's hard to see something like this when on the lathe and in this piece it's also hard to feel. I didn't notice it until I got it completely off the lathe and had some finish on it.

It's not bad enough to trash obviously. In fact it's already sold but I wanted to shoot it so I could explain the process I go through with each piece. I'll know to look harder at this kind of thing next bowl.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081