Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Jet 1236 Lathe -- Good News

Brad Vietje
>I'll admit that I have occasionally been none-too-poetic about the shortcomings of the Jet 1236 -- a lathe I own, and a model I think could be an excellent value in mid-sized lathes with a little more attention to quality control and machining tolerances -- even though that would raise the cost somewhat.

Well, 2 weeks ago the tailstock ram erupted through the aft end of the tailstock casting while I was trying to rough a small bowl between centers. When the wheel is turned to advance the ram, you are basically pushing a captured E-ring on the shaft against the back of the casting to advance the ram. Over time, the E-ring had drilled a cylinder right through the cast iron, and when it reached about 1mm thick, it just gave way. I consider myself a fairly skilled turner, and I had not overtightened it enough to bend the E-ring, so I didn't think I had abused it.

I wrote to the WMH Tool folks (they own Jet and Powermatic), and I argued that 2 other lathes I use, both about 50 years old, have had no such problems, and I thought it was a design flaw. Their response was to offer to replace the casting at no cost to me, even though the lathe is 6 or 7 years old, and I bought it used about 3 years ago.

While I still feel this popular model could use an upgrade and slight re-design, I commend the WMH Tool Group for standing behind their product. I'll be a happy camper when the new casting arrives, so I can get turning again. Seems like WMH is a good group to deal with; hats off to them.

Safe Spinning,

Brad Vietje
Thetford, VT

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081