Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Opinions for bowl finishes wanted-Longish

steve antonucci
>The other day, my wife asked me to donate a bowl to a local charity event for a family in our community. I went through my collection, and took out 2 older pieces (which were so-so) and one recent piece, which was up to my current standards (however, my wife hated it- she has an aversion to spalted woods...)

So the event was a silent auction, and apparently, people like my work. Not meaning to brag, but my bowls drew more bids than they should have, and sold for a very nice donation to a worthy cause. As a result of the bidding war, many people did not get the bowls, and decided to approach my wife, who began to overcommit me, er, um, I mean take orders on my behalf.

One of the orders was for a bowl "just like the one from the auction"- which was a piece of spalted maple from the woods by my house. Power company cut the tree, and I saw the black lines running through the stump, and ran out to buy a chainsaw... 5 years ago. So I went back into the woods, and cut a bunch more of it, some a little soft, and refinished an older bowl to make a salad set.

So now my question:

Normally, my bowl finish is mineral oil and beeswax (easy, looks good, cheap), but I'm afraid that it may not hold up to a good vinegrette. Aside from that, the bowls are spalted maple, and I'm afraid that staining from a dressing might shorten their lifespan.

The bowls have been alcohol soaked (killing all organisms?) and wet sanded with mineral oil. What would you all recommend for a day-to-day usage finish? All opinions wanted.

Steve

Messages In This Thread

Opinions for bowl finishes wanted-Longish
Re: Opinions for bowl finishes wanted-Longish *LINK*
An educated consumer- still wanted spalted maple..
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081