Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
A Visit With Dave Smith

Charlie Anderson in Southern Maryland
>My wife and I took a 2 week trip to Washington and Oregon. While my wife attended a conference in Portland one day, I drove an hour north to Longview to visit with Dave Smith. When I finally found his house (street sign grown over by bushes), I most impressed with his shop and wood storage.

It turns out we both have the same lathe, a Jet 1236. Only difference is his is a bit 'souped up'. Small things like a larger motor and variable speed controller.

I had only planned to spend an hour or so, but it ended up being 4 hours. He showed me his impressive shop and his more impressive (to me at least) wood storage in the back yard. He has a nice quonset hut shaped enclosure which is about 10' x 18'. It even has a floor to keep the moisture out. And of course, it was chock full of wood. Some for turning and some for flat work, whatever that is!

I asked a lot of questions and Dave isn't exactly bashful, so the time flew by. He showed me a few techniques as well.

Then he put together a selection of Western woods. We weighed them so they wouldn't run my one empty (not any more) suitcase over the 50# limit.

Thanks, Dave for an enjoyable day. I turned one of the pieces of dawn redwood today. It was going to be a beautiful bown, but......the side got so thin at one point, I put my finger nail through it.

Messages In This Thread

A Visit With Dave Smith
Cool guy, huh?
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081