Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Design Survey Finished *PIC*

Ben Aragon
>Design Survey Finished,

I finished the piece and here it is hope you like it. The vessel is 6” by 6”, carved and burned. When I asked for the survey I already had this in mind but I was looking for something out of the box. I was curious and wondered what others would come up with. I did not want to just play it safe and leaving the holes and finish the vessel; I’ve done that. I appreciate all your input though. Maybe all the adventurous were away for the father’s day weekend.

I carved all the lines with a rotary cutting tool and used my pyrography machine to highlight them and to make the drawings.

I got this cottonwood from a dead tree, from lighting. I have one other large piece I plan to make another vessel like this one but wider and flatter. I almost didn’t finish the piece today, a transformer at the end of my driveway exploded while I was starting to part it off. It was so load I thought my lathe had exploded and my ears were ringing. Hour lather they were fixing it.

It was a little hard to start this piece because when it was finish turned and oiled the grain looked remarkable. I had an idea to do stone. I wanted the natural color variations in the wood to look like multi colored sand stone. The grain is a little lost but the color variation in the bricks is just what I was after. If I can find more cottonwood like this I’ll keep doing it. It looks better at a little distance, comments welcome

Best Wishes,
Ben

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081