Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
HFMS Hands On Meeting - Pen Turning

Jim Shaver - Oakville, Ontario
>Hello,

Last night was the final Hands On Meeting for the Halton Furniture Makers Society. As with all Hands on meetings in our club we meet at a members shop to learn something new. This meeting was held in my shop and I gave a Pen Turning 101 talk and demonstration.

My goal was to give the members an over view and enough instruction in pen making that we could all make a Large Twist pen in the evening.

Here is the lathe we used in my shop, a Jet Mini, I really enjoy working with this lathe. It’s also easy to teach with as its compact size enables people to gather around while you are turning and be able to get a good view of the process.

I gave a “Blank to Finish” talk, covering most of the basics, here I am talking about matching grain from the top of the pen to the lower barrel.

Here a few of the members turning

Ralph Abel, hard to believe that he hadn’t turned in 30 years, he caught on quickly!

I was trying to give Jim a bit if control advice with the skew, he turned a lovely pen!

And these are the pens we made, in 3 hours we survived a bit of a thunder storm, some of Ralph‘s bad jokes and some saw but, but came away with several excellent first time results from a few rookies and great looking pens from a few who have a few brass tubes under their belts!

And here are the happy pen makers, a great evening guys, thanks for being patient with me and making teaching pen turning so easy!

Thanks for viewing,

Take care,
Jim

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081