Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Krylon Matte Finish

Mike Schwing from Md.
>A few months ago I was researching different types of clear finishes that would leave a truly matte finish on work that was too delicate or could not be rubbed out with steel wool. Several were suggested, a couple by John and Jennifer if I recall correctly. They included some Fixatifs that are used in artwork. I tried a can of Krylon Matte Acrylic Finish and was disappointed because it had a white cast to it. Turns out it was a bad can. I also used the Krylon Fixatif but it has quite a sheen to it compared to this Matte Finish product.

I've used it on several pieces lately and it is really superb stuff. It seals in paintwork very well and provides a good protection from fingerprints and smudges. It has a very pleasing touch to it as well. Just one coat and it totally knocks off any gloss or sheen from your work. Add enough coats to give it some depth and a really wonderful matte with just a hint of a sheen develops. Some of my painted pieces remain tacky for a long time - one coat of this stuff - boom - seals it in and gives the work a "complete" feel.

I know most of us seek to shine our turnings with buffing wheels, waxes, and what not, but occasionally folks run into a situation where they wish to dull it down. I would very much recommend this product for those instances.

Mr. 3 legged chicken egg was finished with 2 coats, and in a few days I'll post a piece that has quite a few.

Hope this helps someone. Adds another weapon to your arsenal for sure.

Messages In This Thread

Krylon Matte Finish
Re: Krylon Matte Finish
Re: Krylon Matte Finish
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081