Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Roughing out question *PIC*

Ed Kelle
>I understand the basic roughing out principles for working with green wood, but am a bit unsure how to attack it for a more unorthodox form. I did this one "UFO" style flower holder from dry cherry, and now I want to develop this form with more flowing curves in green wood. I want it to drape over itself more, as in the bottom curve hits the center and starts back down towards itself again. So am I supposed to start slightly hollowing out this back curve again and just leave it nice and thick? I just started using the alcohol drying method, and so far I have only used it for more traditional shapes, actually I have not finish turned the ones I have done yet.

I am interested in getting more sculptural with my works, so keeping this in mind, I'd like some advice for how to do my rough outs so that I will still have enough wood remaining to sculpt after final turning. I'm not one who likes to design my works very much ahead of time, so I do not see myself settling on a form then roughing out to any specified thickness keeping designated final lines in mind.

Here is a pic of the form I have done in dry cherry. as I described, the bottom curve will go up then turn back downwards again, like a flower opening up. Right now it is sort of a mirror image of the top curve. Them whole body/rim of the holder will probably still remain thick so how much will this add to the drying time? The piece is about 7" x 2.5"

Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081