Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Importance of a tail stock for bowl turning?

Kudzu
>I am looking seriously at building a bowl lathe since bowl turning is where my interest lies, not in spindles. Plus I have a small lathe I can do spindles on.

My only concern is lack of a tail stock. I could design a lathe and build a tail stock but suddenly it looses a lot of advantages because of the precision required with a tail stock and getting to align correctly. Without the tail stock it is simple fab work, no really accuracy required and can be built very reasonably.

I know you can work without a tail stock and have done it many times. Sometimes I just feel safer with it there. Plus no tail stock limits some of your chucking options too.

I am curious how more experienced turners feel about this? I have been looking seriously at a old Delta/Rockwells, Powermatics ect. with outboard spindle turning capability and just can't decide which way to go.

I just read Bens posts on his Powermatic with riser blocks and that looks like a good option too. I am just very undecided on what I want to do. Discussion would be most welcome!

SIDE NOTE: I was a mechanical designer in a past life so the design is pretty straight forward for me. And I can fabricate it myself if I practice my welding.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081