Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
My Pride and Joy *PIC*

Ben Aragon
>Powermatic 90 Lathe Modifications

I bought this lathe 2 years ago. This lathe belonged to a bowl turner David Irion he pasted away and his son sold it to me. The main reason I bought this lathe was that it didn’t have a gap in the bed and Powermatic make great tools.

I made some modifications last summer.
1. I raised the headstock and tailstock to make it a 20” lathe. The headstock has a 4” steel riser. The tailstock has a 4” aluminum riser with a brass bottom plate, for weight.
2. I replaced the 1-hp 1-phase motor with a 2-hp 3-phase motor and added a 3-phase variable speed controller. The controller takes 1 phase 220V input.
3. I built a steady rest from steel, ideas I got from you guys at WC. I wanted the largest capacity I could get so I used 1” square tubing.
4. I built a hollowing rig that accepts the Scorpion tools I bought. A laser pointer was added, the whole thing disassembles.
5. I built a vacuum chuck also

What I like about this lathe is:
a) The massive bed and head stock.
b) The variable speed controller and variable speed mechanical drive, I use them in combination.
c) It has about 400lbs of lead added to the base, its rock solid.
d) I bought a couple of extra tools rest banjos.
e) It has a 1-1/2 x 8 threaded headstock with new bearings. My Emco metal lathe has the same thread and I can inter change chucks, I LOVE that.
f) It came with a lot of tooling, chucks, sanding ass, ect…

I hope David is happy it is still in good shape and in good use.

Best Wishes,
Ben

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081