Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Ambrosia Maple Bowl (long) *PIC*

William
>Hi Everyone!

Well, I am very excited as this is the first real piece that I have done since getting my new lathe. This piece is by far one of my favorites:

I got real lucky with a score that my girlfriend found. It is Curly Ambrosia Maple. :)

It is the biggest piece that I have tackled thus far.

It was roughed out the beginning of May and I did the Denatured Alchohol drying method. I let it settle to a steady weight for 3 days before I did my final turning.

It was sanded to 320 and I hand rubbed 4 coats of Waterlox with a cotton t-shirt. Don't know if there is a better method of application but I did learn that foam brushes stink for application. I am all ears for suggestions though. Between coats, I knocked down any "bright" spots with a black scotch bright pad. I finally Beall buffed it using Tripoli and the Carnauba. I skipped the White Diamond in fear that it would get into the beetle holes and ruin the look.

The final dimensions are:

10 1/4" O.D.
5/8" Thick
2 1/4" Deep

What makes this even a little sweeter for me is that I actually took my time and did not "settle". Before, I used to get frustrated when I couldn't get a curve right or get a good sanding technique down or leave a little tear out. I forced myself to raise the bar per se. I concentrated on my form. I really worked on a uniform thickness and no flat spots on the curve of the bowl.

I cannot say that I got a smooth finish with my cutting teqniques because I didn't. I did what I could with a scraper and when I couldn't get that, I wasn't afraid to go to the 80 grit gouge and work my way up. I was having difficulty with some tear out.

I also got to try out my signing of the bottom for the first time and it was surprisingly easy. A little tweak here and there and it should be a bit more smoother.

Anyway, I am open for any critiques on form improvement or finishing. :)

Thanks for looking

William
p.s. Advanced apologies for photo techniques. That does need work as well as a photo box!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081