Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
General 26020 vs. Powermatic 3520

Brad Vietje
>Hi Folks,

I posted this question earlier today, but didn't want this question to get mixed up in John's very understandable (and justified !) new lathe gloat. I'll pose the question anew here:

Either of these lathes would be a nice upgrade for me, and I will be building a new shop and making such an upgrade in the next 6 months... I've been exposed to both, and often cite these as two of the best values in full-sized, serious lathes. (BTW, the DVR is also in the running , especially for spindle turning -- might still need a second "bowl" lathe, though.)

OK, now I have to decide which one I ought to buy ... I like the short bed capability of the 3520 for larger bowls and hollow forms turned at the tail end of the bed, though I've heard a negative comment about the durability of the headstock casting where the mechanism tightens down against the bed ways...(is this true ?) I also like the local nature of General, which I could get with no shipping if I order one in time for the Totally Turning symposium in Albany, or else I could drive up to Drummondville, PQ, which is just 3 hours from me...

Any pros and cons I ought to conider ?

Safe Spinning,

Brad Vietje
Thetford, VT

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081