Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Norfolf Island Pine Vessel PIC *PIC*

Ben Aragon
>Hi,
Another piece turned, it is Norfolk Island Pine 9Ē x 7Ē. It is an enclosed form. I rough turned it to about 3/4Ē thick then dried with the alcohol method. I then finished turned it to 1/8Ē thick and sanded. I soaked it a mixture of 1/3 boiled linseed oil, 1/3 oil based varnish, and 1/3 mineral spirits. This is the first piece of Norfolk Island Pine I have turned and Iím not sure how may times it need to be soaked, but it really soaked up the oil with the first 24 hour soaking. I soaked it about 6 times letting it dry for 24 hours between soakings.

I visited Ron Kentís website and he soaks his pieces in a soap solution to prevent them from cracking before finish turning them and then soaks them in a Danish oil bath as many as 50 times. Iím not saying what I did is better, he is a great artist. I think the alcohol soaking method really dried the piece well, it soaked up most of the oil in the first 4 soakings. I live in Albuquerque and the humidity is about 15% here lately and this may also help compared to Hawaii. It is so dry here it is quite a job to keep bowls from cracking.

The only reason I didnít use 3 gallons of Danish oil is I couldnít afford them. I had on hand a gallon of Boiled Linseed oil and a gallon of Oil Based Varnish I used on a fence, and I went out and bought a gallon of Mineral Spirits.

Now to the piece, Iím not real happy with the shape or form and I wasnít able to turn it with the star pattern at the bottom. What I do like about it is the color and the translucency; itís hard to tell in the photo. It is free of cracks and the knots are solid, I filled the knots in a few places with coffee grounds were needed before sanding. I buffed it with the Beall System. Comments welcome good or bad.

Best regards,
Ben

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081