Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Cheap accelerant for CA *PIC*

Eaglesc
>I know squat about bowlturning but I turn pens and do laminations and glue ups.
I have seen CA mentioned here so I thought I would post this.
I posted this on the IAP forum but thought I would post it here also.
"When I glue up tubes I use CA exclusively, I like the idea I can glue,the tubes and turn my pens as soon as I cut and mill to length.
Until recently I didn't mind using the little accelerant I did because it kept my blanks from sticking to where ever I set them down.
When I started gluing my spirals I found that I was using a lot of acclerant for a small area.
I tried the pump bottle accelerant but I have found for me it evaporates too quickly(Loss from the bottle)
I like the aerosol but my local supplier charges $12.00 a can even though another supplier(4 hours away round trip) sells the same thing for $6.95.
In a moment of desperation I filled a pump bottle with denatured alcahol and gave a glue joint a "spritz" .
It foamed up white and "set" ALMOST as well as regular accelerant.
I don't normally accelerant if I use CA as a finish, just after gluing in tubes as I described earlier or adding oops rings or CB'S.
Alcohol is a lot cheaper than "purchased accelerant"
So far other than the foaming(which gets turned off) I have found no ill effects in using it.
I had contemplated using acetone but the only container ever tried filling with it melted.
The alcohol is the way to go.
In the spiral I have pictured I used alcohol to cure the glue and turned the same day.
You may want to try this if you use CA or run out of accelerant.
If this is a model builders tip forgive me for posting what I thought a money/time saving idea (Hey, I'm frugal!).
I have never seen this suggestion offered."
There were replys to my post suggesting other alternatives,water, baking soda, I had even tought of ammonia, but alcohol was at hand and for different resons I chose the DNA.
One more thought.
On another piece I had lammed(scrap) I "spritzed" one piece with alcohol and applied CA to the other. I then pressed together and held for a few seconds.
I tried to break it apart and could not.
The joint held just as it does wit the "store bought" stuff.
As I said it does"foam" but I normally turn that off, I don't know what the appearance of the joint looks like.(It's still glued together)
Take the tip for what it's worth,It worked for me your mileage may vary.
( If you try it,try at your own risk)

Messages In This Thread

Cheap accelerant for CA *PIC*
Re: Cheap accelerant for CA
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081