Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
First turning in several months. *PIC*

Gary Evans, Tallassee, TN
>Hi all,

I finally got back to the lathe this past week and weekend after a several months hiatus. This is the first time I've used the WoodFast extensively since I put the variable speed drive and AC motor on it. Somebody was foolish enough to route the conduit between the motor and the drive so that it interfered with access to the lower pulley. If I ever catch the culprit, he'll be in big trouble. 8^]

Anyway, after rerouting the conduit, which turned out to be less of a chore than I had been dreading, I rediscovered how much I love to turn.

Here is a champhor platter 15" x 1 1/2" and a camphor bowl 6 3/4" x 1 1/4". Both have Velvet Oil as a finish. Neither has cured enough yet to buff out. I used a sealer coat of shellac on the smaller piece before the oil, as it is a gift and I was afraid the smell might be too much for some folks.

I hadn't turned camphor before, and while the smell is strong, it wasn't overpowering. I really enjoyed the way it turned, and was pleased with the grain patterns in the wood. These came from a board that I bought at the auction at the Southern States symposium. See how you can benefit by supporting your regional turning shows?

Thanks for looking and comments are appreciated.
Gary

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081