Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
About 80gr. gouges and other sandpaper

Hawaii Turner
>Aloha, Everyone
I have nothing to do with the company (I wish that I owned some stock in it) but I, and most members of our club, have used MIRKA sandpaper for about 10 years. IMO, I feel that it is the best cutting and longest lasting paper that I have ever used. Well, at our meeting this past Sat. the dealer shows up with their new product. It is called ABRANET and is a ceramic impregnated onto hook and loop discs. I have only used it a little yesterday, and can't give it my personal endorsement yet, but one of our members who turns huge Norfolk Pine vessels, just raved about it. He did a demo on a roughed out Calabash of a fairly hard wood, we call it Chocolate Albizia, but he started with 180gr on a rather rough turned bowl about 16" in dia. and in 2 or 3 passes, it was all cleaned up. Personally, I would have re-turned the surface better before starting with 100 or so grit of regular sandpaper.They said that you can start with a finer grit, and don't have to use as many grits to do the job.Also, is supposed to last a lot longer, after all, it is ceramic. Time will tell.I thought that I would pass this on in the hope that it might help someone.
Aloha
Doug Leite
Has any

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081