Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Spindle Gouges

DGD
>I have focused most of my turning on bowls, however, viewed a Raffan video recently that has kindled some interest in spindles and turning techniques with tools I have avoided (skews). Tried some turning and to my surprise the skew not the enemy I had anticipated (it's not a friend either!). That being said, I am looking at purchasing either a spindle gouge or a smaller skew. I already have a small bowl gouge (3/8" American) and was thinking this would suffice as a spindle gouge for smaller spindle turning. The only difference I see between bowl and spindle gouges are the depths of the flute. Can I reasonably get away with the use of this bowl gouge for spindle work or am I asking for trouble?

An unrelated question, - I have seen some postings here that state not to use a roughing gouge for bowl turning. I am sure I have missed something, but I don't understand the advice provided. What are the circumstances where the use of a roughing gouge should not be used in preparing a bowl blank? Thanks.

DGD

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081