Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
6 Years in the Works, pics

Jim Shaver Oakville, Ont.
>Hello,

About 6 years ago an area not too far from my home was being cleared for the expanding development of a new neighbourhood. As part of my daily routine I would drove past the area, for a number of weeks wondering what was going to happen to the lovely stand, a 50- 50 hard wood - soft wood mix, I paid close attention to the progress of the clearing.

Finally one day I saw that the entire area had been cut and cleared with the trees lumbered and organized in such a fashion as to give confidence that the large trees were going to be logged and milled.

I came back later that evening and took a walk into the area to survey what kind of trees had been there, there were many red oaks and maples, along with some birch and them a few sizable pines.

Away from the logs was a sizable series of piles of debris, cut branches and scrub that looked like it was destined for the chipper. In that pile I also saw what appeared to be a burl. It looked like it was trimmed from the side of a maple, perhaps the tree cutter thought it was of no value and had discarded it, my eyes lit up!

I thought otherwise and decided that maybe I had a treasure on my hands, so ankle deep in wet mud, a cold drizzle in the air and now in darkness I lifted the body of the burl onto my back and bent over stumbled with it back to my van, some 100 meters away. It was a painful struggle but in the light of my shop it revealed that it might yield some potentially nice wood. Quickly I found some white latex paint and applied a coat to the open face of the wood to seal it and hopefully arrest the drying process from cracking the wood.

I remember thinking to myself at the time, I am not much of a turner so if I let it dry for a few years and develop some turning skills maybe in time the wood and my abilities will arrive at a better time together.

Well, like I mentioned, I have been tripping over this now in my shop for 6 years and I think itís time to cut it into manageable parts. Itís fairly heavy still, and I now know I could not haul it out of the woods today like I was bale to even 6 years ago.

I am wondering what your opinion of this wood is as you see it here, is it something that has been a pipe dream or do you think itís potential is at hand?

Thanks for viewing,

Take care,
Jim

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081