Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Jennifer's "Dancing Kids"

Jerry Whitaker
>Jennifer: Just curious about how your "Dancing Kids" bowl did in the silent auction for your son's Montessori School. I had a Mesquite lamp in the Silent Auction for the Girl Scout fundraiser and it went for a decent price of $125 even though it should have been more like $175. Also, two crossgrain Mesqite pens that went for $55 for the pair - not too bad but should have been more like $80. I handled those just fine but out of 6 other turned items, I bid two of them up and brought them home with me still at a bargain price. These two items were turned by friends of mine. I would have bid even more than I did except that for a table of four, it cost my wife and me and another couple $1,500 to attend this event for an hour of entertainment, a meal and a live auction....so funds were sort of limited. I figured this was a pretty good donation on our part in and of itself. Many of those in attendance paid the minimum $100/ticket to attend. I can say without a doubt that everyone is looking for a ridiculous bargain which translates into "legal theft." Will I do it again for the Girl Scouts? Probably, since I had about $20 into the lamp and about $8 into the two pens. Still, that is better than me handing over the $180 cash that was paid for them. Besides, my wife is on the Board of Directors for Girl Scouts and she knows how to push my buttons, only in some instances, of course. To put things in perspective, there were many other non-turned items that went too cheap.

Messages In This Thread

Jennifer's "Dancing Kids"
Re: Jennifer's "Dancing Kids"
Re: Jennifer's "Dancing Kids"
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081