Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Jet 1236 upgrade slow progress.??? PIC

Dave Smith, Longview, WA
>I started accumulating parts for the lathe upgrade last month. I have a 3 phase controller and two 3 phase motors. I will be using the one Gary Evens sent me that came off a General lathe complete with step pulley. I stared designing the bracket for holding the new motor away from the drive spindle. The picture shows the orientation I plan to use. So far I can swivel the head with no interference problems. For me that is pretty good. Once I get the final design worked out, a friend will weld it up using angle iron.

Questions for you engineers.
The motor has 4 steps on the pulley. As best as I can measure the diameter of the steps are; 1 3/16"; 2 1/4"; 3 1/32"; 3 15/16".
Motor is 1750 RPM.
What size pulleys do I need on the Lathe?
I assume I need a 1 to 1 pulley for low range and a 1 to 2 pulley for high range.
How far am I off base?
The lathe shaft is 15/16" in diameter. It doesn’t appear to me that a pulley with a 1 3/16" diameter would be feasible on the lathe shaft.
I don’t plan to use a gravity motor mount like contractor saws use. I have an idea of what I want to do for the adjustable motor mount so I can change the belt between low and high range. As soon as I find the “too good to throw away stuff” I need I will be pretty much ready. Now I am just waiting for a round tuit credit card to get started. I spend those things faster then they can be minted.

Dave Smith

Tim the Tool Man of Longview, WA. (more power, more better)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081