Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
cutting angles

John Lucas
>I had an interesting thought today while using the skew. I don't know why this didn't occur to me before and it probably doesn't matter at all but it is interesting.

When you are cutting with the skew we all know that a skew cuts cleaner when the cutting edge is held at 45 degrees than it does when the cutting edge is parallel to the wood. This is a skewed angle. It dawned on my today that not only is this a skewed angle but this also lowersthe cutting angle of the edge. What made me think of this was thinking of it like a low angle plane. If you have a 12 degree low angle plane and you skew the plane so it's cutting at an angle this lower the cutting angle from 12 degrees to less than 12 degrees.

I have no idea how this might help anyone when turning. If you are using a rough out gouge and have the edge ground to 45 degrees, if you skew the cut this will lower the angle and give a cleaner cut on woods that then to tear out. I played with this a little while turning today. I rough out the piece with the cutting edge parallel to the wood and then skewed the angle and of course it cuts cleaner.

Well hope I didn't waste anyones time. When your doing production type stuff your mind wanders. Mine apparently wanders further away than others.

Messages In This Thread

cutting angles
Re: cutting angles
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081