Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Extra banjo for Jet Mini?

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

Lately, I've been finish turning a lot of bowls that I had roughed a year or so ago. Almost invariably, I find myself trying to push the limits of my Jet mini and doing bowls in the 9 inch range. This means I cannot slide the banjo under the bowl when the bowl is in the chuck. I like to work the inside and outside together as I work my way down from the rim to the base, so I was thinking that if I had an extra banjo, I could have both on the lathe, one in front of the bowl and one behind the bowl, back with the chuck, and just move the tool rest, or possibly even have two tool rests, but I am not sure how that would work for grips, etc, as I work on the inside and outside of the bowl. However, I think the idea of having the double banjos might work fine, even with moving the tool rest.

As it is now, I am constantly taking the bowl/chuck off the lathe, moving the banjo, putting the chuck/bowl back on the lathe, etc as I move towards the base. Does anyone happen to already do this dual banjo approach and if so, how do you like it? Likewise, does anyone know where I can get a replacement banjo for the Jet Mini? It doesn't have to be a Jet piece, but it does have to have the same size hole for the tool rest post.

Thanks,

Mike

Thinking about strumming two banjos in Apex, NC...

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081