Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Band Saw help

David
>For the past couple of weeks I have been hand cutting bowl blanks with a bow saw. My arms are falling off, and my cuts aren't that great.

So, in spite of my budget for tools (+/- $0), I think I need to pick up a band saw.

Here are the "givens":
My lathe capacity is about 10 inches diameter.
If I get to turn three pieces a month I'm lucky. I'm new to this, but I don't see that increasing anytime soon (one toddler, one on the way)
I haven't the money for a full size band saw.
I havne't the space for a full size band saw.

Here are the questions:
"Gotta have" power/safety/other features?
Recommendations on makes? I've seen several available for prices ranging from $30 to $200 that look like they could fit the bill, but I have no idea what I'm looking at. $200 is the max I could possibly spend on this right now, and hopefully much less. I know that many of you have outfitted terrific shops, etc., and probably don't have much exposure to the lesser power tools, but I just can't run in that league. But - If I can't find an inexpensive "safe" unit, I'll buy blanks and/or continue to hack away.

I don't mind making the cross-grain cut by hand if I must, but can a band saw cut a 10" diameter log that is 16 inches long down to an 8 inch log, and then be used to create the blank? (for example).

Hope you folks can help....my arms are really, really, really tired.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081