Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Spalting experiment result - failure *PIC*

John K Jordan
>As mentioned in an earlier thread, I made an attempt to spalt a maple log with suggestions from another person. I buried the log in a hole in the woods sometime last summer and dug it up with my backhoe this weekend.

The experiment was a resounding failure! The only spalting was just a couple of inches into the exposed endgrain and even that wasn't very pretty. My guess is I buried it too deep and didn't allow enough air. Next time I think I'll try laying the log in a shallow trench and covering it with leaves. Next time I'll put in a maple and cherry log and compare.

All was not lost. I cut the log up into chunks and found some beautiful figure including some birdseye that would have been made some nice veneer. I expected some figuring since the outside was pretty gnarly. The attached photo shows a couple of slices from the bandsaw, scraped a bit with a cabinet scraper to reveal the figure. Much of the wood has red flakes throughout which might be interesting even where the figure is not so pronounced. Wish I had time to put one on the lathe! It was all I could do to get it anchorsealed.

Stop in and visit if you're in East TN and take a chunk home. (Anyone who lives here probably already has plenty of green maple) I have a few more logs like this in the pile (from an electrical power line trimming).

JKJ in East TN in the springtime

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081