Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Part Rant, part question. (Unavoidably long)

Gary Evans, Tallassee, TN
>First the question: Does anyone have a source for used Husky chainsaw parts?

Now the rant: Let me preface this by saying that I have spent more than a few hours repairing various internal combustion contraptions. Motorcycles, cars, chainsaws, lawnmowers, weedeaters; it's how I made my living for more years than I like to think about.

Recently, I let a friend of my son's take a Husky 3-something XP that I have had lying around for a number of years so that he could "fix" it for me. I was told that he had been to small engine school and that he could take care of it for me. I didn't feel like fooling with it and didn't flinch when he told me it needed an ignition module ($101.) Sounded right to me.

Today I found out that the magneto is bad and that I need to pony up another $126 for that. And of course, "both parts were bad to start with" because the dealer doesnt make refunds on electrical parts. Needless to say, I told him to just box it up and let me have it back. Now I am the proud owner of what are probably 2 good ignition modules and a saw that still doesn't run until I put some more money into it.

I guess the reason I'm upset is that I could have made as good a guess as this kid as to what the problem was. I assumed that perhaps they might be teaching them how to test electronic components in "small engine school." What it boils down to is that "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

Be aware that I'm kicking myself for my own laziness, I'm not blaming the kid who worked on it. He made the same initial guess that I would have made if I found out that I had no spark.

Thanks for letting me blow off a bit of steam, and if you can let me know where I can find a good used magneto for a Huskey 3-(I think 52) XP, I would appreciate it.

Gary

Messages In This Thread

Part Rant, part question. (Unavoidably long)
Re: Part Rant, part question. (Unavoidably long)
Re: Part Rant, part question. (Unavoidably long)
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081