Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Help with turning tools and motor source

Wayne Leach
>Greetings from a newbie in NW Ontario

I learned (or was supposed to have learned) woodturning in high school about 50 years ago. Later when I got maried I purchased a Rockwell wood lathe and turned a few items like Walnut bud vase and glass coasters etc. Then it languished until recently when I decided to become a woodturner.
I thought I had a basic understanding of the craft but was very humbled when things did not go well. So, I blamed the inexpensive Marples turning tool set (incl: 1/4&1/2" spindle gouge,3/16 parting tool,V tool, 1/2" round scraper and 1/2" skew-overall length of tools is 13") I purchased many moons ago. They seems so short and "micky mouse"!
I scoured catalogs and online sources and finally decided to purchase some new tools individually-I liked the looks and specs on the P&N tools and figured that the Raffan skews were a good choice because they seem to work well in his video? So I bought the following:
1. P&N 1" skew
2. P&N 5/8" bowl gouge
3. Raffan 1/2" curved skew
4. Raffan 3/4" curved skew
Now the question, Should I continue to add P&N tools or ?
I need a larger roughing gouge first thing but what would I need after that???

Also, am planning on building a larger lathe and would appreciate any info on variable speed motor and purchase source - 1-1/2HP or 2HP.
Thanks to any and all who can help.

Wayne

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081