Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Drilling holes/hollowing questions

Dan Lanicek in TX
>I'm a fairly new turner and I'm making a votive candle holder turning. It's a short face turning with a southwestern shape (rims are narrower than middle). Would you call this a bowl or a hollow form or something else?

This candle holder thingy has holes in the side cut with a Forstner bit. Last night I cut the holes before turning. Hollowing was a chore (and a little scary) but other than one accident where the small scraper caught a hole and chipped the rim the candle holder came out nicely.

I'm now wondering if it would be smarter to drill the holes after I turn the form. Anybody ever done anything like this? One nice thing about turning after drilling the holes was that I could see where I was hollowing and tell how far to go without using calipers.

some hollowing questions: I hollowed using a bowl gouge for the initial hogging out and then a round scraper to reach final thickness and clean up. I have no bent scrapers so the underside of the rim was a little rough. It took a while but I got it done. Is there a better way/tool to do this? Do you sand the inside of hollow forms? If so, how?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081