Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
How to tell if your bearings are bad?

Mike Rubes, Apex, NC
>Hi all,

I realize that this may fall into the category of questions like "how do you know when your gouge is dull", but I think the bearings on my Jet Mini may be going.

How can I tell for sure that they are or aren't?

Here's what I know.

When I run the lathe, I sometimes get a clicking sounds coming from the headstock.

When I remove power and take the belt off the pully, I can spin the spindle and it doesn't make any noise. Very smooth, very quiet.

When I put the belt on the pully (I've only tried this on low, 2 and 3rd selection) and let the lathe run without tightening the motor clamp, it runs fine. Very smooth, very quiet. When I put a little pressure downward on the motor and then clamp it down, I get the click click click, even when spinning it by hand.

I've noticed that there may be a very slight upward play in the spindle. Sometimes, when hand sanding, it feels like the piece "clicks" up a little as a put pressure on it to sand. I have grabbed the spindle and tried to move it up and down by hand, but I cannot replicate the "click" I sometimes get.

Should I not be applying any pressure before I tighten the lock? When I don't apply any pressure, the lathe is far too easy to stall.

Any ideas or things I can try?

If it is the bearings, do I need any special tools to replace them? I've heard mention of a press, but I don't have a "press".

Thanks,

Mike

Oh yeah, the Jet Mini is 3 years old last month. I've turned 150 plus bowls/vessels of various sizes on it. Some have really stretched the 10" swing, others have been candlesticks. I have replaced the belt about 6 months ago.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081