Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Some times it is the Little things

Mark Kauder, Phenix City, AL
>Sometimes in the shop it is the little thing - goffy things that raise your spirits or make you laugh.

When I dimension wood for my segments, I used to resaw the wood with my TS, but recently I have started to resaw with my bandsaw because there is much less waste. A while back I commented how great the Highland Hardware Woodslicer blade was. That was one of those good moments - discovering the joy of a new asset in the shop.

Well, yesterday I had another good moment.

After resawing, I usually plane the wood to thickness with my Dewalt 733 planer (sometimes the finish is so good, I use it straight from the BS). I have not changed the planer blades for about 2 years, mostly because it is a pain in the but, no mater what planer you have. But also because, though there were some nicks in the blade, they could be taken off with a couple of swipes with a sanding block and I did not see the need. It was not because I did not have sharp blades, I had three sharp sets in the drawer.

Well yesterday, I decided to change the blades. Really only takes about 15 minutes.

When I fired it up and ran the first piece of Yellowheart through it - then came the payoff. I first did not think it was cutting, it was so quiet. But when I got the wood out the other side, IT WAS GLASS SMOOTH. I had forgotten what that was like. I just had to laugh. The old blades had been beating the wood into submission.

Like I said, sometimes it is the little things.

Mark

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081