Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
John C. Campbell Folk School

David Galloway
>I just returned from a week of assisting Nick Cook in a beginners woodturning class at John C. Campbell. To say I enjoyed the week is a major understatement. With ten students with a range of experience, Nick and I were going fast and furious. We were in the shop from 9-noon, 1-5, and then back for free time on the lather from 7-10. Most classes do not meet at night but we wanted to give the students as much time as possible on the lathe.

For those of you who do not know, John C. Campbell is a folk school with all kinds of offerings. The style is set by the old Scandanavian folk school where learning and self-discovery is the key. The offerings are diverse. This past week there were people building mountain dulcimers, learning to play mountain dulcimers, building bamboo fly rods, learning how to cook over an open hearth, drawing, photography, blacksmithing....just to name a few. The setting is in beautiful Brasstown, NC, just outside of Murphy. It is about two hours from Atlanta.

Woodturning is the number ONE! venue with most of the courses filled soon after they are announced. There are world-class teachers booked every week with a wide variety of styles and techniques.
One note is that we are trying to raise money to build a new studio for woodturning that will serve us better. Many AAW folks will recognize the name of Willard Baxter who was one of the major driving forces of woodturning at Campbell. It is our plan to name this facility for Willard, a fitting tribute to the man and his spirit. If you are interested in contributing, I can give you more information.

YOu can go to the website to find out more information and also see the current schedule. You can also request a catalog that gives you a weekly schedule as well as a schedule set up by subjects. I know that you will be impressed by the woodturners schedule.

The web site is www.folkschool.org

Messages In This Thread

John C. Campbell Folk School
Re: John C. Campbell Folk School
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081