Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
The end of a good day *PIC*

Mike Schwing from Md.
>Aside from a couple hour bike ride and a short nap, I spent the entire day today, from 6am till 10pm working in the shop. Unbelievably productive day! Roughed out lots of big bowls to bolster up the inventory, finished my latest carving and started painting it. Built a few jigs, cleaned up and reorganized. You know - one of those days when you have somehow become invisible to the rest of the world, allowing you to revel in the selfish pleasure of a day of woodworking for fun.

Then at about 8 o'clock I realized I had nothing "hard" to show for all of my work, so I picked up something from the "I'll never finish this piece" shelf and finished it. It is a beautiful piece of figured box elder. It only has one coat of lacquer on at this point, (yes I was spraying water based lacquer right at the lathe, shame on me) and now its too late for me to keep working. When I was turning out the lights, this work light was the last one on, and I thought "wow, a perfect picture of a really good day" - only it doesn't look so good as it does in real life.

I hope each and every one of you has a day like this real soon. It is good for the soul.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081