Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Turning Ash

Jim in Michigan
>Yesterday a friend brought over an Ash bowl blank that has been drying for about six or seven months. The wood had been sealed with Anchorseal and had no visible cracking. I have never turned Ash before.

We mounted the blank with the grain running perpendicular to the ways. In other words, this was a typical blank mounted in a typical fashion. As we attempted to cut the profile of the outside of the bowl, we got catch after catch. I was using a very sharp 1/2" bowl gouge which is the tool I use for the majority of my turning. As the bowl profile began to take shape, I figured that I could remove the catches by using shearing cuts to smooth the surface. No dice. More catches. I tried every cut that I know how to use with no success. I even got severe catches trying to use a scraper. The wood even had a damp feel to it which should have made the cutting easier.

Frustrated, I decided to see how the bowl blank would hollow. The cuts to open up the inside of the bowl (to hollow it) were very clean and I experienced no catches.

I don't know what to think.

Jim

Messages In This Thread

Turning Ash
Re: Turning Ash
Re: Yup....
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081