Turning Archive 2005

Purchasing a lathe - which one?

Ray Carson
>I used to love turning in High School. I turned hall corners, turned into a good wrestler, turned.....okay I'll stop.
I owned a Shop Smith many years ago and ocassionally would throw a hunk of stock on it and see what I could come up with.
I usually post over on the other side of WC but have been, well, a little bored with doing things square lately.
I'm thinking about purchasing a lathe just because I have so much money and so much time.....

Really, I've been thinking about doing this for a while and I have mostly Grizzly machines. I do not have a lot of money or time but would like to turn something.
If it happens that, it sits around for months at a time, I do not want to invest in a really expensive machine. That would break my heart.
I've been looking at the G1067Z, G0584, & the G1495. I would also be looking at buying a decent set of lathe chisels.
I probaby would turn some bowls, maybe a bat or two, I don't know what I would make but turning has peaked my interest recently. I think it would complete my shop tool arsenal too.
Your thoughts and input are appreciated.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.