Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Purchasing a lathe - which one?

Ray Carson
>I used to love turning in High School. I turned hall corners, turned into a good wrestler, turned.....okay I'll stop.
I owned a Shop Smith many years ago and ocassionally would throw a hunk of stock on it and see what I could come up with.
I usually post over on the other side of WC but have been, well, a little bored with doing things square lately.
I'm thinking about purchasing a lathe just because I have so much money and so much time.....

Really, I've been thinking about doing this for a while and I have mostly Grizzly machines. I do not have a lot of money or time but would like to turn something.
If it happens that, it sits around for months at a time, I do not want to invest in a really expensive machine. That would break my heart.
I've been looking at the G1067Z, G0584, & the G1495. I would also be looking at buying a decent set of lathe chisels.
I probaby would turn some bowls, maybe a bat or two, I don't know what I would make but turning has peaked my interest recently. I think it would complete my shop tool arsenal too.
Your thoughts and input are appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081