Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Big UGLY Texas bug question

Brad Vietje
>Hi Folks,

A friend in Abiline, TX sent me some very dry, bug-eaten Mesquite -- some pieces have very little sapwood left. The bug tracks are about 1/4" by 3/8" (oval), and all over the place, even down into the heartwood. While roughing out a small bowl I happened upon one of the cute little fellers ... or so I thought until I pulled it out.

The larva is about 2-1/4" long, with a head that's much larger than the body. The head looks very much like a soft, cream colored corn nut (yech !), about 1/2" long and oval in profile, with a long, segmented tail. The dimensions of the head are the same as the holes it leaves, and it has a dark spot right in the middle, which could very well be the mouth. The tail is more like 3/16", segmented and round.

OK you Texas bug experts -- what have we here ? It sure ain't pretty, and I'm wondering what sort of giant, stinging, extra-galactic creature will come crawling out of my woodpile in a few months ? I plan to put this stuff outside to freeze, but can someone advise me here ? This fella gives me the heebie-geebies, even though there's no movement, and he seems dead. This seals it -- I gotta get a new dig. camera...

Safe Spinning,

Brad Vietje
Thetford, VT (with the smell of Maple syrup in the air...)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081